One of the oldest hospices in the UK, we launched in 1910 and are named after Professor John Taylor, a gynaecologist who worked at the Birmingham and Midland Hospital for Women in the late 1800s. The hospice was gifted to the NHS in 1948 and in the 1970s began treating people in their own homes and cared for men as well as women. At this time we changed our name to John Taylor Hospice.
In 2011, the staff at John Taylor Hospice voted to take the hospice out of the NHS. Initially this was as a community interest company with a charity attached and on 1 April 2018 the hospice brought all of its business into the charity. Over the decades we have provided specialist and much-needed care for generations of families and today we are here for hundreds of local people.
For more on our history please see this link. To read the stories and memories shared by former staff and family members please click the button below.